Thursday, February 18, 2010

review: The Sixth Sense

First of all, can I just say that I love this poster? Everything except the "fear" part.
Back to the film: I haven't watched this in quite some time. I remember that I wasn't very thrilled with it at the time. Watching it now, I think I have a better judgement to pass.
The story centers around a doctor of Child Psychology (Bruce Willis) and his latest case (Osment). I don't think I really need to tell anyone much more because the movie has certainly become apart of american pop culture. Want an example how? On the AFI's top quotest list, the line "I see dead people" is placed at #44. It is also on the Top 100 films list and the top Thrills list. It was nominated for a slug of Oscars, but did not win any.
The story is interesting, the twist at the end is surprising, the sound is wonderful, the acting is great - all elements work here. Mostly in the way that they work so that you don't notice them. You don't step back and say "That setting and those costumes are so realistic" and you don't take time in the middle of the movie to say "Willis is a fine actor" - because it just is so natural.
It is nice to see Willis in something outside of action films. (granted, I haven't seen much of his work) He proves that he is not a one-trick pony. Osment is just fantastic. The ability of a kid to take on a role like that is impressive. That is always one thing that I am constantly amazed by child stars. Especially when they take on subjects that are generally thought to be too mature for their age range to even see portrayed.
Good film,
3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment