Wednesday, February 3, 2010

review: The French Connection

I just don't get this one. I mean, the story is clear, I get what it is about, I understand that it is well enough acted, but I don't see the significance. I guess it could be considered a film about our time. But if this is what our time is about, than I am sure we're in a sorry state of life. Someone will have to point it out to me. I just don't get it.
Not to mention, it seems like it was all for naught by the end of the film.
But it was nominated for a slug of Oscars and won 5 of them too - including Best Actor for Gene Hackman and Best Director, Fim Editing, Best Writing, and believe it or not, Best Picture. And it is on the 10th Ann edition of AFI's Top 100.
Seriously, someone is going to have to sit down and watch this movie with me and talk me through its amazingness. I want to re-establish that I think everyone does an okay job in this picture. Acting, direction, artistic, it's all okay. But just okay. And, by the by, this movie makes me never want to go to New York - and that is saying something.
Again, I just don't get it. 2 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment