Tuesday, February 23, 2010

review: Angels & Demons

Wow.
Wow!
My hat is off to Dan Brown, Ron Howard, the scriptwriters, researchers, and the businessmen.
Also to the incredible crew of this film. As well as the task masters, and the workers.
And lest we forget: Ewan McGregor, Tom Hanks, and all of the actors.
That was a wonderful movie experience.
I like these kinds of stories: a little bit of fiction with a lot of historical facts, with mystery and adventure. It's like a modern-day Sherlock Holmes - except this guy (Robert Langdon) is more of an intellectual. Think about it, the man is a symbologist. A professor. But, when you are dealing with people who are extremely intelligent, who work in symbols, and have a place in history - who else do you call?
Back to the movie:
I think the only thing I didn't like about it was a plot twist, that just had to be. I hated it because I loved the character. It's always a problem when you find out your favorite is not who you thought. It just took my by surprise. I can't discuss it without giving away something, but wow. Jeez. I'm still in shock!
I like the intelligence of this movie. It's a history lesson, an art lesson, a religious lesson, and a science lesson wrapped in an action movie. I wish I had someone like Langdon in my life. Someone to just tell me everything - the history, the culture. I'm not kidding when I say that I think that would be so much fun. I can imagine how amazing it would be to get into a place like the Vatican archives. I love reading, and I love learning. I'm just not good at it. So a movie or a book like this is incredibly useful. It's a crash course in a bunch of different subjects, or trivia.
Design gets an A+. Effects gets an A. Directing A. Acting ... between A and A-.
All in all, a wonderful movie. See it.
4 and 1/2 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment