Thursday, February 25, 2010

review: The Ox-Bow Incident

I figured I would like this. I didn't realize how many actors I would like a recognize. Including Harry Morgan(!)- although he is credited as Henry Morgan, Dana Andrews. Anthony Quinn, Henry Davenport, and Jane Darwell - and, I could be wrong, but I think, in a very quick appearence, Margaret Hamilton.
I did like this movie, but it made me mad. Which I guess is the point. You can't take the law into your own hands! The part that most made me mad is that there seems to be no justice. The story just ended. You never knew what happened or how most of them felt about it. Its probably more powerful this way, but I just wished there was more.
The only part I didn't get was why they had the part about the girl. Why did that need to be there? What possible use was it to the story? It didn't even make a good side-story because it was just thrown in there.
Aside from that, I was not at all disappointed. Wonderful story, wonderful film! It was nominated for Best Picture, but it lost. Respectfully, to Casablanca. It was selected to be preserved by the National Film Registry.
Needless to say, it has stood the test of time. It is also considered by many to be Henry Fonda's finest performance. That is debateable - he has so many good ones - but this is certainly one of his best.
4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment