Friday, February 19, 2010

review: My Darling Clementine

I like the movie, and I like the title - but not together.
This movie is about the famous gunfight at the OK Corral with the Earps and Doc Holliday. It's an interesting (fictional) view of the story. But it is the same, basic idea. So what makes this movie good: Well John Ford, for one. Henry Fonda and a supporting cast that includes Walter Brennan and Ward Bond, among others.
It's a wonderful old classic. A good old-fashioned western in all its glory and beauty. The acting is wonderful (the first time I have seen Brennan as the bad guy - and he is good at it!) Fonda is Fonda - sweey and easy going, but strong and firm.
Like I said, the only problem I have with it is the title, which refers to a character who is only minimally connected to the main plot of the story.
I knew this movie mostly from the episode of M*A*S*H called "Movie Tonight" where Potter, to boost morale orders this film (his very favorite) for the camp to watch. It is one of my all time favorites.
3 and 1/2 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment