Sunday, February 21, 2010

review: The Ghost and Mrs Muir

I love this movie.
There is a certain side of me (that I have been oppressing lately) that has a weakness for a good, old-fashioned romance.
But I don't like a lot of modern romances - and this movie is so much better than most anything that has come out in the last decade.
Basic Plot: a widow (Gene Tierney), her daughter (Natalie Wood), and their maid move into a haunted house by the seaside. The ghost (Rex Harrison) in this house was once a seaman. They strike up an unlikely friendship.
This movie is a romance without a romance. Muir and the Captain never even kiss - but their feelings for each other are so beautiful, and so obvious, although so repressed. It is one of the sweetest relationships I have seen.
Harrison is wonderful - he's delightful, in fact, as the captain. Utterly delightful! Apparently, he is difficult to work with - but it doesn't matter, because he is fantastic! Tierney is simple and straightforward, and delightfully spunky. You don't see much of Wood, but she is adorable.
I think this is one of the best of his films - although I have only seen a few - but some of the most wonderful - of his films.
4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment