Saturday, March 20, 2010

Transformers & Transformers 2

These are my guilty pleasures. I gotta say it: I love these movies. I'm pretty sure that a lot of it has to do with my first experience of seeing both of these films. But nonetheless, I have watched them a couple times on my own and I still like it.
Which leads me to a confession:
I refused to see this movie at first. I was wrong. I admit it.
What is it that I like about these movies? I really don't know for sure. It taps into a certain part of me that loves action movies. They're thrilling. Also: Shia LaBeouf. I hated him in what little I saw of 'Even Stevens' but then I saw him in a Disney movie and I was impressed. And when I say him in these movies, I was surprised at how he grew up. I could take or leave Megan Fox - but the surprise of the film was John Turturro. I love him as an actor. He doesn't always take great roles, but he does great in them.
There are a lot of downsides to this movie. Some of the characterizations are a little too stereotypical. Kinda pathetic. Which makes some of the language a little corny, but overall, not too distracting. But, in defence, it also has some very awesome moments of dialouge too. But the overall star of these movies is the sound. Holy cow, the sound designers/editors/mixers are fricken geniuses! Sadly, it was only ever nominated for Oscars - how they didn't win for visual/sound effects is beyond me.
Despite some of its failings - I really do like them - they're my sci-fi, action-adventure geek out movies.
3 and 1/2 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment