Tuesday, March 30, 2010

review: Merchant of Venice movie

A Shakespearean Comedy (?)

Shows you what time can do. Time and social change.

You know, I do not have much of a problem with this story. Except two things: the trick in the law naming Shylock an "alien" of the city and the cruel judgement that he should convert. That sickens me a little.

Actually, I do not like this story very much. It's sickening to be called a comedy. Most of the time I just want to slap the people. Especially Jessica. How could she do that to her father? Just leave him? I can not like any of the characters. No one is trustworthy.

That aside, I do like the actors in this movie. They are wonderful. Pacino and Irons are amazing! The design/art direction is wonderful. Can I say it again? Pacino is amazing!!

But it is the story that stays with me this time. It sticks with me and just makes me so MAD!
Still and all, it is a good movie.
3 and 1/2 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment