Sunday, March 21, 2010

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

This is one of those movies I was forced to see one too many times when it first came out - so I naturally have an aversion to it. I thought I would give it a watch to see if that aversion still exists. It does - but only for certain parts of it. The not so good parts.
That aside, this is a great movie. A good story - wonderful actors - and a little bit of that crazy southern-ness. Southern family secrets - it's so Williamesque - except that it ends pretty happily.
I know the story is all about the women in this film - but it is the men that really interest me. These poor men - they just hold on for dear life with these crazy women! James Garner is just wonderful as the dad. Actually, everyone is wonderful. It is an amazing cast - not a single outshining performance - a true ensemble.
The design is also brilliant - as well as the direction, writing, and cinematography. Really, it is a beautiful film.
4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment