Friday, March 19, 2010

Pygmallion

Wow.
Okay, I love 'My Fair Lady' so I love this movie. Because, aside from the music, it is almost word for word, exactly the same.
At first I was hesitant, because the only character I had ever seen Leslie Howard play was the quiet, easy-going, daydreaming intellectual. Didn't know if he could do Higgens any credit. Well he did, and he is delightful! Still playing the intellectual, he is loud, boisterous, and a bit of a bastard - all of which we love him for. Everyone else does an okay job, but Leslie Howard is why you watch the movie. Wendy Hiller is okay, but she just can not compare to the elegance and charm of her musical counterpart (on stage or screen).
It was nomiated for 4 Academy Awards, winning for Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay).
It's quite charming, so
4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment