Monday, March 22, 2010

The Maltese Falcon

My actor crush on Bogart continues to grow. I've seen this movie before, but it seems like a perfect night to rewatch a classic with one of my all-time favorite leading men.
This is considered by many to be the gem of all film noirs. I can't say for sure if it is the best, but it is certainly a jewel in the crowning glory of the genre. It certainly was acclaimed in its own time, being nominated for 3 Academy Awards. It has registered its long time fame also, being included in the National Film Registry as well as 5 AFI lists.
You just can't get much better in anything. Acting, design, cinematography, etc, etc. Some of the shots in this movie are utterly amazing. Bogart being as amazing as he is, Lorre - I can't say enough about how much I love him as an actor. Sydney Greenstreet in a role that just epitomizes the type of character that he is remembered for. Astor does very well at being a tricky actress. You can hardly ever tell when she is lying and when she is not - until she really puts on an act. That isn't easy to do, and she does it pretty well.
But the star of this movie is the story: so many twists, and the best part is, you'll be shocked at the ending - it just blew my mind the first time.
Not much else I can say except that the movie speaks for itself.
4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment