Saturday, January 2, 2010

Movies! featuring Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, Thin Man, and Out of the Past

Here's the idea: I am going to swap no one paying attention to a Facebook group for no one paying attention to my own personal blog. I had a group on Facebook called Movie Night Critics that some people were in, but no one ever paid attention to but me. So I left it and I'm just gonna right on my blog about the movies I see. I like movies. I like writing. I like writing about movies. I'm just going to do it here instead of there.
For tonight 3 films I have recently enjoyed.

Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog: I don't know where this has been all my life. This hour or so long internet musical is AMAZING! A musical about a super-villian trying to make it into the Evil League of Evil with Neil Patrick Harris as Dr. Horrible. It was a riot! I woke the dog up 2 or 3 times by laughing too loud. It was so cheesy and yet, incredibly on target with some things. It's nice to know that a wanna-be super villian can have the same problems as the rest of us nerds. No kidding, watch it! The music is amazing and it is so much fun. Share it with someone who can appreciate with you.

4 out of 5 stars

Thin Man: Another film I have now on my top # list. The classic William Powell/Myrna Loy comic whodunit. It was wonderful. And it took me by complete surprise. The relationship between Nick and Nora is surprisingly different from any other I have seen in movies from that time. Very loving but with a cheeky banter going on throughout. It struck me as very real, even though the whole movie is very Hollywood comic glamour of the 30s. It was fun, witty, and it also had me on the edge of my seat. The best way I can describe it is a wickedly funny american Sherlock Holmes soaked in martinis with a wife instead of a doctor. Another wonderful film to share with someone!
5 out of 5 stars!

Out of the Past: This movie would best be describes as a typical product of the studio system. Back in the days when they were pumping out movies like gasoline, this was a typical example of what they came up with. A very well made, quitessential film noir. It's got everything you need - although it was a lot lighter than most others I have seen. What I mean by typical is a good thing. It is high quality, although it did not stand up to the test of famous. Good, but not something that everyone has heard of. In its own circles it is a classic though. Robert Mitchum in a role perfectly suited for him (it still baffles me that he used to be a hobo before he became a star). Kirk Douglas is pretty darn good in it too. He is not a lead character, but he's great. He's the head villian, and quite skeezy, but you love him for it. Jane Greer, the leading lady is everything you would expect her to be: vicious, two-faced, tricky, but beautiful and able to pull off vulnerable very well. It's not bad at all, and worth the watch. The only thing I want to know is if there is a reason why "the kid" was deaf? Was that just something they got from the original story, or was there something else?
3 out of 5 stars

More later. I'm going to be turning to Key Largo as soon as I get done with this. Hmmmm, Bogart :) Hope you enjoy your evening; I am certainly going to enjoy mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment