Thursday, January 13, 2011

Start of something good??

So ... I had a good day yesterday.

Started out like any other. Got to work at 9:00, it's Dollar Days so we were pretty busy. Before I knew it, it was time for my hour break. I go back to my locker to get some change for a soda and there is a Post*It on my locker. First thought was that Karla (HR Director) had to see me about something. I look at it, and it says "There is something for you in the Break Room"

Okay...?

So, I go in there, and I see a vase with some flowers in it. On the vase is another Post*It that says "For Teresa" I thought for sure there was some mistake. There were a couple of my co-workers in the room too, and they all asked who the flowers were from. While I still was sure there was some mistake (there is another Teresa at Luekens as well), I went ahead and looked at the card. It said "To the girl who is always on my heart"

Now there HAS to be some mistake ... I am not that lucky.

But - the note was on my locker, not anyone else's. I didn't recognize the handwriting so a staff (eventually about 5 or so people) looked at the note and most of them were convinced they knew who it was from. But they were not going to tell me, because they weren't sure. One of my managers was nice enough to offer to tell me if I didn't figure it out by the time I was done with work.

So, I come off the break and head up to Service Counter. On my way, I pass one of my co-workers - this boy named Ahren. Ever since I started working at Luekens this boy has been incredibly nice and friendly to me. He always makes me smile and we like to talk. When I thought about it, I realized this could be a possibility. I mean, he was actually the only slight possible choice. But as I passed he asked how my break was in such a casual way, I was sure I was wrong.

Still, as the night went on, I couldn't figure out who it might have been. I almost asked Ahren as he came up to pay for his break food, but I quickly decided not to. I mean, if he said 'no' I would be back at square one and look like a fool. Not too long later I was sent on my 15 min break. So I went back there and in the break room was just Ahren. After a little small talk, I tried to ask him in a round about way. He looked at me like I was crazy and said "no" At that point, I wanted to sink into the floor because by then I had convinced myself that I really wanted it to be him. There was a two-second god-awful silence and then he said "to the girl who is always on my heart"

And mine stopped.

After that is kinda blurry, but there was a lot of blushing, stammering, and a surprising lack of words. I didn't know what to say! Except "thank you" and I'm pretty sure after the 4th time saying it, that got old. I gave him a hug and miraculously got up the courage to ask him if he wanted to get coffee or something sometime. He said yes, but the problem is finding a time when we are both available. (He also works on his family farm, so he's pretty busy) He agreed to meet me after he was done with work.

So, fast-forward a couple hours. We meet up in the closed Deli and proceed to spend the next 2 hours talking. It was wonderful! Surprisingly, it was pretty easy. You all know how awkward I am - especially with conversations - but there was a shockingly small amount of not-so-awkward pauses. It was very comfortable. Eventually, the managers notify us that it is time for them to leave, and therefore, we should to.

We talked a little more in the parking lot and finally said good-bye. We hugged again, and not to go off on a tangent, but I have to say that it was very comfortable - hugging him, I mean. I didn't want to let go :) *blushing*

So - that's my story. I haven't really stopped smiling since then - even through working Books this morning! I have found myself singing a lot today and really enjoying those "it's great to be alive" kind of songs. So yeah, I'm giddy. The roses smell so beautiful and are perfectly in bloom (see below:)

No official plans yet. I can't imagine that we're going to make any kind of anything quickly. We're still kind of feeling each other out - which, if I were an outsider, I would think is adorable. We both seem to be a little guarded, and we're easing into this new thing. Which, I can't define right now. I don't like to assume anything, so as of right now, I just got some flowers from a very good friend. There may or may not be more, I don't know. I can't read him at all - not that that has ever been a strong point of mine. My natural tendency towards caution and self-deprecation tells me that is all it is: friend - there is no way that there is more; people don't think of me in that way. Remember: I am a confirmed hopeless case - I have given up on the idea of that kind of relationship in my life. But my other tendency towards hope tells me that there might be something. When I think about it, I tend to drive myself a little crazy, BUT I don't think about it too much.
So, I'm just a girl who got flowers for a very sweet guy :D

No comments:

Post a Comment