Tuesday, March 23, 2010

To Have or Have Not

:D I love Bogart! And for their first film together (and Bacall's first ever) they sizzle. I don't really know why I like this movie so much, its not an amazing story - its just so-so.
There are some amazing moments though - including the very famous "You know how to whistle, don't you Steve?" bit. Oh yeah, and one of the best exits ever made on film by Bacall.
To be honest, the romance kind of outshadows everything else. Not saying that the rest of the movie isn't good, but chemistry and the work of two very fine actors is hard to top. But you do have Walter Brennan, who does a fine job playing not much of a role. His character just doesn't make much sense, but he still makes him a character we love. The movie has a little bit of the Casablanca feel - but just a little in the storyline. I haven't read the story, but apparently a lot of changes we made to make it more adaptable to Hollywood - also to make it as much as a star vehicle for Bacall as possible.
Again, I don't know what it is, but I do like this film.
4 out of 5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment